Saturday, December 5, 2009

Today I met for a reunion with teachers whom I had in class when they were teacher candidates. That was two years ago. Some have gone abroad to teach in Europe (or are considering it), one has worked as a principal of an alternative storefront high school before returning to the high school classroom, and several teach in the same district--even across the hall from each other!

As we often do in my family, I suggested we each share the best and worst moment we'd had since last seeing each other. As usual, listening to the best moments shared by these smart, savvy, strong, and sensitive women was inspiring. I was most struck by the comments of one who works in a school and district where conditions are difficult: Despite frustrations with her situation, she was happy to be able to be there for the "outsider" students who didn't fit into the cliques that are part of her school's culture.

Her comments remind me of what one former colleague once told me as a beginning teacher about how powerful it could be to make a connection with students: One bad lesson can leave one down in the dumps for days, but an insightful comment from the quiet student in the back can put one back on cloud nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment